Monday, September 28, 2015

SMART TRAINING


 In addition to trying a free class at Title Boxing Club this weekend, I did a workout at the Torigian YMCA.   They have a decent number of kettlebells and barbells both of which were on my training agenda.

Over the years when people have complimented my training and/or my technique, I've usually brushed it off or been annoyed that my training was interrupted.  On this day, a young guy came up to me after I had completed a Turkish Get Up using a 12 KG or 26 pound bell.  He more than enthusiastically described my TGU as perfect.  He said most guys can't even do a TGU without weight.


14 KG TGU in my messy backyard!
What I haven't learned is that because someone compliments you at 12 KG, it doesn't mean you have to immediately do one with 16 KG or 35 pounds.  Well, that is what I did.  That wasn't about training.  It was about trying to impress someone.  You see, for a number of health and joint reasons, I need to be smart about how I train.  That wasn't smart.  It doesn't mean I can't do 16 KG because I can.  It just means I need to be intentional about when I do them.

As many of you know, I went into the Strong First Certification training with a number a number of injuries.  I worked through them.  Eric Gahan, co-owner of Iron Body Studios, offered the best advice when I first started training there.  He said,  "You need to remember the goal."  Without that advice, my injuries would not have been under control by the certification.  I know I would have pushed myself.  All I needed to do was push, pull, snatch, clean, swing and squat 12 KG.  Without those words, REMEMBER THE GOAL, I would have pushed myself to push, pull, snatch, clean, swing and squat 14 or 16 KG.  It would not have been smart.  Full disclosure...there were times I did at 16 KG TGU.  One time, I almost attempted a 16 KG snatch.  At the time, none of it felt right. 

Snatching with 12 KG

Without Eric and Artemis knowledge and experience, I would know have become an StrongFirst Instructor.  I would not have reached this goal. 

Smart training is to have goals and understand that it takes to get there.  Remember the goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment