Monday, February 24, 2014

Aim, Fire, Ready

Once upon a time there was a blog titled "Musings of a Sly Fox."  Several years ago that blogged became inactive.  Meet the new Sly Fox....Fit, Fab and Over 50.  This will be a temporary title.  To start I want to share a few postings from my previous blog.  So here goes...first up is


 
Photo prior to the Philadelphia Tri

WITCH CITY TRI 12/9/08

I guess I have to start my first blog sometime so here goes...Even though it was in August 2008 when I did the Witch City Triathlon, I decided to make my race report my first post. This was one of my favorite tris. I will be doing it again next year.
 
My beautiful bike that has been with me for 9 of my 10
triathlons.  The number is from my last Tri at the SheRox in Asbury Park, NJ
 

REPORT

Finally a race that was close to home. I got in line to pick up my registration packet. 350 people signed up for this particular race. As I looked around I noticed I was surrounded by a group of young, very fit individuals. This observation brought on my first sense of panic.

I decided to gaze out into Salem Harbor. The first buoy in the Harbor for the swim looked to be a "gazillion" miles away. As I stood in the registration line I contemplated leaving...actually I contemplated running away. Now I had a reason to panic for a second time. As many people know, the swim is not my favorite of the three disciplines.

The good news was that I was in the 4th of 4 waves. Not everyone is happy going last but I was. Going last means there are less people behind you. For some reason this quelled the panic and calmed my nerves.

Registration went smoothly and so it was off to the transition area to set up. Without thinking or really paying attention, I set up in the wrong rack. Once I realized my mistake, I moved to the correct spot without too much humiliation.

SWIM

The start of the swim was delayed for a short time due to an accident on the road. Finally, the first wave was off. As my wave of 40 and older females was standing on the sand, someone counted 38 of us. That number felt comfortable. Before I knew it I was in the water. Most swimmers had on wet suits but I was in my Tri Suit. The water didn't feel cold but it sure was salty. YIKES! I forgot I was swimming in the ocean. I mouth full of good ole salt water brought me back to reality.

It took a little while to get my bearings but once I did it was okay...the swim was 1/2 mile which I had done at the Danskin just two weeks prior. Of course woman were passing me but that is just plain normal for me and the swim.
T1

I ran to the transition area. Why does it take me so long in the transition area. Maybe you really do need to practice transitions. It bugs me that it takes so long. I was surprised at the number of people in the transition area getting on their bikes. I guess when you have to change your wet suit it takes longer.

BIKE

Off I flew to Marblehead. The course included three loops around Marblehead Neck. I started picking off a few people which felt good. I wouldn't be last after all. A couple guys who were in the race started pacing me which really did help. One even said...get down on your tribars you will go faster. Turned out to be very good advice.

T2...again too long.
 
Start of the run at the Philadelphia Tri (which I did 3 times)


RUN

The good news is I brought the correct running shoes. For the Danskin race I brought two left feet. I ended up wearing my old cross trainers to run.
For the very first time during the start of a triathlon run my legs didn't feel like dead weight. I was psyched. Then I hit the first hill, okay I made it...not too bad. Then I hit the second hill. Now my legs felt like crap. They were yelling...hey woman..slow down, walk, do anything but run.
The first mile was a straight but slightly hilly run. The second miles was a trail run which I loved. I thought the third mile would never end. I did have some final energy left for a final kick, sprint to the finish.

I love this race.

Plan: This was my last triathlon for 2008. I am in the process of setting goals for 2009 one of which includes doing an Oly late in the season.
 
I NEVER DID AN OLY.  WHAT I FOUND OUT WHILE TRAINING FOR ONE AND TRAINING FOR THE TUFTS 10K IS THAT I WAS NOT MEANT TO RUN 6.2 MILES.  MY LIMIT IS 5 MILES...AND THAT'S OK. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment