Tuesday, February 25, 2014

LOOKING BACK - FOOD/GARDENING/SUNSHINE

My blog with be about fitness, food, and music...so I am continuing some past posts.


THIS POST IS FROM JULY 2012...BEFORE I REALLY GET INTO THE BLOG I WANT YOU TO HAVE SOME SENSE OF WHO I AM AND WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO ME...OUTSIDE OF MY FAMILY.  I AM A PASSIONATE FOODIE AND GARDENER.

FROM JULY 2012...

About 2 weeks ago I took several pictures of my garden which I want to share...






 
BROCCOLI

 
SMALL GREEN TOMATO

 
RASPBERRY BUSH
  

I planted over 30 tomato plants of different varieties, black pepper, 3 sweet  peppers, one ancho chili pepper, 6 eggplant, 6 broccoli, one canteloupe, garlic, lettuce and carrots.  I have an  herb garden.  I also have raspberries (pictured), blueberries (pictured) and strawberries.  It is quite the bounty.

I have some recent pics I took with my cell phone but email is not cooperating.  I will post those later. 

I also do a CSA with Connor Farms in Danvers.  Here is what I got from week 2...




Last week's pick up included lettuce, corn, carrots, radishes, zuccini, summer squash, raspberries, swiss chard, onions, red potatoes, white potatoes, dill, cilantro and pickling cukes.  I think that just about covers it. 

On Sunday I went to the local farmers market in Swampscott and picked up some extra treats...the best of all was a peach pie from Sweet Adelines in Salem, MA.  Packed with peaches with a light crispy crust to die for and what seemed like a nice oatmeal topping.  Not sure that is what the topping was...really wish I had a picture. 

I can never resist the farm fresh eggs from John Crow Farm.  I also do a small meat CSA with them.  And yes on one of the hottest days of the year I will be making beef stew. 

I also grabbed some edible flowers from Maitland Mountain Farm.  Tasted one.  Not quite sure what I think about them and not quite sure what to do with them.  It was an experiment in something new. 

I don't like the heat but I love the way we are able to eat during the summer months...fresh from my garden or a local garden.

ARE YOU A FAN OF SUMMER OR WINTER?  ARE YOU ARE GARDNER?  IF YOU ARE WHAT DO YOU GROW?



No comments:

Post a Comment