Saturday, January 3, 2015

2014 - MOVING INTO 2015




Changes are coming in 2015.  Starting the new year isn't about making resolutions.  It is a time to reflect on the past year and think about the future.

In less than 3 weeks I will be 57 years old.  Each decade, each year is different.  It is so much easier being 57 than 27.  Those five decades have been the seasons of my life.  I thought Landslide was a song about aging.  I play the video on or near my birthday...always.   The line on replay in my mind...

        "Can I handle the seasons of my life?  I don't know."

It is possible to handle the seasons and accept aging when you know when it is time to make changes and know when it is time to challenge yourself.  Of course everyone's limitations and challenges are different. 



For some reason, I spent some serious time thinking about the past year.  I felt I had to analyze the good, the bad, and the ugly to move forward.  Time was spend thinking about changes I want to make and challenges I want to pursue.  Challenges come first...

So officially, well I haven't sent in my payment yet, I am going to train to become a certified kettle bell instructor.  StrongFirst will be doing a certification in Boston in August and I am accepting the challenge. 

Just so you know, the certification is a physically demanding three day event that includes a written exam and demonstrating that you can teach.  That teaching aspect is what I find to be the most daunting aspect of the certification.  I am an introvert and teaching will take me way out of my comfort zone.  The 100 snatches in 5 minutes is no piece of cake either but that is a story for another day.

The challenge isn't just about becoming certified.  It is about the road to certification.  Working at Iron Body Studios with a group of like minded women working toward the same goal is an important part of the journey.  Again, a situation way out of my comfort zone.  It is about becoming stronger.  It is about the mental challenge of not giving up...about finding your last bit of strength and pushing forward.  Part of the journey is about accepting defeat when it presents itself.  It is about overcoming defeat.  If at the end of the journey, I become certified by StrongFirst I will be a very happy 57 year old chica.  But I have a lot to learn...

Let the journey begin...I hope you will join me.

Please feel free to share you goals and challenges in the comment section!

Can I also say, part of what I hope to do is improve the blog.  I don't mean necessarily mean the content but the layout and presentation.  My computer skills are lacking and it is going to take some work to get up to speed.  Bear with me.


Side Note:
I have always thought that landslide was about getting older and thinking about the changes you might want to make as you get older. Then, when I was looking for a landslide video, I came across this.  Guess I had that one wrong. 




No comments:

Post a Comment