Monday, August 10, 2015

BACK TO BLACK



Movies just aren't my thing.  However, when I saw the trailer for the new Amy Winehouse documentary, I knew this was one I had to see.  I was not disappointed but it left me feeling sad and anguished.  Amy Winehouse had that unique voice that could touch the soul and song writing skills to match. 

This very talented woman allowed herself to fall prey to her father, her manager, her husband and ultimately to drugs, alcohol and an eating disorder.  In her heart she knew she was a small club jazz singer but BACK TO BLACK made her a star.  Several times during the course of the movie she talks about not wanting to be a star.  She knew she could not handle being hounded and hassled by media and fans.  As a matter of fact she said, "I could give it all back to get rid of the hassle, I would."

Tony Bennett, with whom she sand a duet, described her as a jazz singer equal to Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday.  He said he would have told her to hang on because "if we live long enough life teaches us how to live."

The constant hoard of photographs and reporters documenting her success and downfall was disconcerting to me.  Why can't we leave people free, including celebrities?  Why do we feel we know someone because a story, true or not, was written about them? 








No comments:

Post a Comment