Sunday, January 24, 2016

LIVING LOCAL

 I know, I know.  Two blog posts in one day.  Here's the thing...I am not sure how I will be feeling about the Pats game.  I am always nervous about these games.
 
Market in the Testaccio, Rome!!
 
The market above is common place in Rome and in Italy.  Italians eat local food and they choose to eat produce that is in season and local.  They go to the butcher for their meat and the fish market for their fish.  Fresh vegetables are beautiful and abundant.  It is a healthy way to love.

I want to talk about cooking with locally made products in New England.  It is more difficult in winter in New England to eat locally but it can be done.  For the Patriots game I am making short ribs and carrots...


The short ribs are from Lilac Hedge Farm. 


The butter, which I picked up at the Wayland Winter Farmer's Market, is from Contoocook Creamery.


The chicken stock I used homemade from a local sourced chicken.  I added onion, not local, and garlic, which I don't remember whether it was local or not.



The wine that I reduced and added to the cooking broth is from Mill River Winery.  Excellent wine especially for a local wine. 



And then the carrots, from Tendercrop in Wenham.  They also have their own eggs.  Just as a side bar, this isn't my usual egg place.  I have a new local source which I will share at a later time. 

In my opinion, for the most part, eating locally prepared and grown food is healthier and it supports the communities in which we live. 

GO PATS!


No comments:

Post a Comment