Wednesday, February 17, 2016

GIRLS GONE STRONG - THE BEGINNING

My goal is present the young woman who inspired my strength training journey.  It began with Tony Gentilcore's blog as I previously stated.  His blog led me to the first Girl's Gone Strong. 


I'm a movement by myself, but I'm a force when we're together..." - Fabolous

One official release...

http://www.jencomas.com/2011/10/girls-gone-strong.html 

Their blogs and videos showed women lifting heavy shit and doing real chin up and pull ups.  They pushed sleds and they snatched.  I watched some of the following videos over and over trying to figure out how to get to where they were.  I was amazed and inspired by what these women were doing.  Notice the hardwork, fun and camaraderie shared in this video.





They was Maryann Kane, Nia Shanks, Neghar Fan, ooni, Molly Galbraith, Julia Ladewski, Jen Comas and Allie McKee.  (Sorry if I forgot anyone.  I tried to do this by memory.

Not only did these women promote strength, they talked about nutrition, loving your self as your are and supporting other woman.  The following picture is from their facebook page in 2012.



I never wore much jewelry.  I bought the necklace below in 2011 or 2012.  I wore it always.  It was a constant reminder of who I wanted to be.  Sadly, I was doing sprints on the treadmill and went flying off my neck never to be seen again.  However, it did its job motivating work on becoming a stronger female.  As Julia Ladewski wrote on the blog..."I'll wear this one loud and proud."

It seems this photo was the first on GGS facebook page.

The group has changed and mature since the beginning but what hasn't changed is their ability to inspire.

You might say but Patti, I am over 50 how does any of this pertain to me.  Oh but it does.  They should inspire you to want to get as strong as you can be.  It should inspire you to try new activities.  What they do should inspire you to get fit.  Now we all have limitations so strength, activities and getting fit will reflect who you are!





No comments:

Post a Comment