Monday, February 22, 2016

TRAINING - SOS DAY 2

 
Me...on my journey!  At times, in this blog, I am going to invite you on my journey.  I hope you enjoy the process as much as I will.
 

The barbell class is an hour long and we only (at least so far) do two moves plus an awesome hip warm up.  (My hips thanked me.) 

Last Thursday we did the deadlift...

On my last set, I was able to pull 185 pounds and it felt easy and it was after 5:30 PM.  Since the certification, I've been unable to get past 175.  Why the improvement?  There is nothing like good coaching.  Mike Perry, co-owner of SOS, is a great coach.  He notices the big and, more importantly, the small imperfections in your technique. 

Steve, shown in the video below, is a coach at SOS and he was one of my coaches at the SFG.




and the barbell squat...



I made the decisions to start very light (unlike the chica above).  I haven't done much barbell squatting recently and I had some concerns.  I really wanted to work on technique.  One tweak by Mike made the concern I had disappear.  With my arms in the correct position and my concern disappeared. 

The hour flew by and I felt pumped, motivated and invigorated after the class.  I am hooked...

So today, I took it to the YMCA to practice deadlifts, squats and bench press.  For my last set of deadlifts, I hit 190 pounds.  I did 70 squats and 70 pounds on the bench.  It all felt really good.

I love the process of working toward a goal.  This will not be any different.  In a couple weeks, Mike will write my own private program for working toward the Strong First Barbell Certification. 

Searching for SOS videos, I came across that I want to share with you and save for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment