Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sitting at work too much? What to do...

Although I exercise regularly and enjoy being active, my job is a sedentary one.  I sit in front of a computer for a good portion of the day.  Tuesday through Friday.

I have tried several strategies to fight sit in one place syndrome.  Previously, I constructed a stand up desk using boxes and cardboard.  Problem was...while I liked standing, I also wanted to sit sometimes but taking a computer on and off a box back onto a desk became a pain in the ass.  That simple.  Occasionally when the back feels tight I will set up the boxes and stand for awhile but it is not a regular practice.  I still think it should be. 

Another strategy I employ is running up and down the stairs several times a day.  I never take the stairs to the second floor unless I am carrying something awkward or big or heavy.

So today, I decided to bring in my 25 pound kettlebell to work and give it a swing. 

I did a set of 4 hand to hand swings in the privacy of my office...I did 10, 12, 14 and 20 hand to hand swings four times.  I did a rest period of 10 seconds after 10, 15 seconds after 12, 20 seconds after 14 and 30 seconds after 20.  I only did it once today but that may increase. 

Did I change...hell no.  I wore my skirt and my leggings but I did take off my boots.  Check it out...


What do you do to fight a sedentary work day?

No comments:

Post a Comment